Hazardous Materials

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is any chemical or product labeled: toxic, poison, combustible, corrosive, flammable, caution, warning, danger or irritant that no longer serves its purpose or is no longer needed in the household.

Common Household Hazardous Waste Items

Oil and Water-based paints
Turpentine paint stripper
Paint thinner
Rust remover
Spray paint


Weed Killer
Snail Killer
Bug Spray


Products in aerosol cans
Alcohol-based lotions
Nail polish and nail polish remover
Isopropyl alcohol
Hair relaxers and dyes
Expired medicine


Ammonia-based cleaners
Tub, tile and toilet cleaners
Floor care products
Window cleaners
Aerosol cleaners and sprays
Furniture polish
Metal cleaners and polish
Oven cleaners
Drain cleaners
Windshield water solution
Auto body repair products
Metal polish with solvent
Fuel oil and other oils
Transmission fluids
Brake fluid
Used motor oil and filters
Windshield washer solution
Kerosene & gasoline
Car wax
Lead acid batteries


Cell phone rechargeable Batteries
Swimming pool chemicals
Photographic chemicals
Dry cleaning solvents
Light bulbs
Mercury batteries
Fiberglass epoxy
Lighter fluid
Shoe polish
Moth balls


Products that are toxic in nature need to be properly disposed of to protect the health and safety or your family, pets, neighborhood, and the environment. Culver City cares about keeping its residents and environment safe from toxic pollution. To find out more about HHW, please visit  our City HHW webpage or the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works HHW website.

If you would like to view the latest Household Hazardous Collection Schedule, please visit Los Angeles County's CleanLA website or call them directly at (888) CLEANLA.

Hazardous Materials Disclosure Program

State and Federal legislature requires every business that handles more than a certain amount of Hazardous Materials to report their inventories of Hazardous Materials to the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS).

Many items you may never have thought of as a "Hazardous Material" are in fact hazardous. Please note that "Hazardous Material" is not the same as "Toxic Waste" … a "Hazardous Material" is any material, which is hazardous. If it is flammable (e.g., gasoline), combustible, corrosive (e.g., swimming pool acid), caustic, explosive, toxic (e.g., pesticides), poison, an irritant, etc., it is a Hazardous Material. If it has a warning label, you can consider it a Hazardous Material. Concerning the word "handle", the State defines "handle" as "to use, generate, process, produce, package, treat, store, emit, discharge, or dispose of a Hazardous Material in any fashion." (Health & Safety Code Section 25501(h) ) In other words, if your business has anything to do with a Hazardous Material, you "handle" it.

Now that you have a better idea of what a Hazardous Material is, think about the items you "handle" in your business. If any of the items you handle has any kind of hazard associated with it, you handle a Hazardous Material. The question now becomes, "Is this Hazardous Material a reportable quantity?" Basically, if your business handles any single Hazardous Material at any one time in any amount greater than or equal to 55 gallons for a liquid, 500 pounds for a solid, or 200 cubic feet for a gas, you have a reportable quantity, and must report your inventory to the Fire Department. For example, if on any single day of the year you had two 30-gallon drums of solvent, it is a reportable quantity (30 + 30 = 60 gallons), even if normally you only have about 25 gallons on hand. Once you have determined whether your business handles Hazardous Materials, please contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at (310) 253-5925 for assistance in reporting your materials. 

Hazardous Materials Disclosure Information

Although all hazardous materials reporting is done online through the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS), here are additional materials for your reference: